יום שישי, 30 בנובמבר 2012

I have not chosen cancer, I did choose life.

8 months have passed since the first time chemotherapy was flowing through my blood and my veins. 8 months. 240 days. 5760 hours. Feels like a lifetime. Sometimes, just sometimes, I want to have a week's break from the cancer. That he will take a break from me. But in chronic disease it’s not possible. There are no ready-made breaks, so I have to create them. Over time, I began to realize that I had to create my own reality where I want to live, and though I did not choose cancer to come into my life, in the manner and intensity that he came, but I can choose how to live the time that I have, with him. How much weight I give him, how much importance he will have in my life.

I read all your comments, dear readers: the emails, Facebook posts, and the comments here. Sometimes I even respond. In the previous post, "Love you, leaving you", someone wrote me that cancer is not a subject of ballads and songs. Maybe it's true. Perhaps his powerful presence in my life leaves no room for romance and such attribution. Another person wrote that some people with other difficult chronic diseases struggle as well. It’s true as well. Chronic illness is not easy, and it’s also challenging. The mental strength that is needed is enormous. But, and there is a big ‘but’, I think sometimes it is in our hands to decide how and how much weight to give these diseases in our life. Everyone makes his own choices, and leaves his life in the shade, with and next to the disease. I present here the way which I choose to operate in the face of cancer, and I'm not going to apologize for that. Cancer is a part of my life, and I intend to adopt it tight into my lap, that’s perhaps the only way he would leave. My body is full of it. But I choose not to let it get into my soul. I choose to deal with the reality of life in a certain way, which is the best way for me.

I did not choose cancer, and I did not want him to come. But, it is already here. So, I chose to learn the lessons that cancer teaches us in his own way. I chose to apply those lessons to my life. I chose to live. I chose life. I chose to be. I chose to seize the moment and enjoy it. I chose to enjoy quality time with my family properly. I chose to enjoy my friends. I chose to enjoy writing the papers that I need so I can finish my degree in university, that I want so much to finish. I chose to fulfill childhood dreams. I chose to write a blog. I chose to look at the here and now, not to plan too much ahead. I chose to be a better aunt for my lovely nephew. Better sister to my brother and my sister. A better daughter to my parents. A better friend, a better granddaughter. I chose that cancer will make be better. Happier. Have more joy. To be more myself.

I did not choose cancer, and I did not want it to spread through all my body. But he is here. So, I chose to do everything in my power not to let it get into my soul. Do not give him a window to my soul. To leave it only in my physical existing dimension. And hold it tight until he gets tired of being in my physical body, and it will come out of my body and go somewhere else. To another world. To the next world. And leave me here in this world, with all the amazing things that the world knows to offer us.


A new year has just began, and every one of us is facing every day new decisions, older decisions. Each of us chooses how he wants to shape his life and what content he wants to pour into them. Even within the uncertainty and chaos, we have a responsibility to choose our future. Even in a situation where there are factors, external, that can change our decision. Our choices. I wish you all that we will know to choose the best for us, at the current time, given the information we have today. I wish all of us a year in which we will of leave behind the self-flagellation and look forward. That we will learn from the past, live in the present, and implement in the future. That we will dream about the future. And live it. Be. A year of learning, doing, looking beyond our world – outside, as there are so many things out there that are worth looking at. I wish all of to have a next year.

I did not choose cancer. But he is already here. And I? I choose life. I choose to live.
There is a quote that a friend of mine sent me in English, which I choose to finish up this blog with:

"It is more important to know what kind of person has the disease than what kind of disease the person has" Sir William Osler, 1905.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה