יום שבת, 22 בדצמבר 2012

“The miracles and wonders” (Al HaNisin VeAl HaNiflaot)


On the eve of the fifth candle of Hanukkah, I sit and try to think and identify what was the greatest miracle of this year for me. Is it the fact that I waded through the chemotherapy while bringing to a halt the spread of cancer in my body? Does the fact that I'm still here, alive, is my big miracle? Or maybe knowing I am surrounded by friends and family that spread so much love and support over me that helps and strengthens me every day? Perhaps my greatest miracle of all is the insights I find out about what life means to me, and what is the right way for me to live them. Can the miracle be knowing that if I survived the cancer treatments so far, and even to get stronger out of them, there’s nothing and no challenge I could not overcome. And could my big miracle lie a bit in every one of the things I just mentioned above, but its main source is due any time. Units of time we measure things. My miracle begins and ends in three words - past, present, and future.

I know. Time is a very abstract and comprehensive term. Past, present, and future are in fact subunits within the term that is called time. The obvious question is how these three words can mean a miracle for me. How come they play such an important role in my life. Someone told me once that the word  ניסיון(challenge) contains in it the word  נס(miracle), for that we will always remember that even when we think that life or reality presents us with impossible challenges, a miracle can always happen. In the spirit of Chanukah – ‘a great miracle’ if you will. To live in the present we need a lot of challenges in life, that if we will overcome them, and prevail, we will create for ourselves our own personal miracle. In each point in time in the present, we are facing these or other challenges. That is the reality. The question is what we do when we encounter them. Do we learn from our past, and implement what we learned for the future, or give up and take a more passive approach. Do we understand that we may now have the option to make the ניסיון (challenge) into a  נס(miracle)? And do we even want to put the effort required to reach a state when miracle can even happen in our lives?

 Cancer brings a different meaning to how these three words and the way they are perceived- past, present, and future. The past is an unchanging unit of time, you know it happened, and will not return. You find yourself clinging to the past in lust and looking at those periods of time that shell not return, the time before the cancer took a hold in your body. Then’ in the past, the things that were in the head and heart were things that to seem to you minor and non-important. But then, when they occurred to you, they had very high significance in your life. You look and see how things were in your past. Then you move to the present. How things are for you today. And even if you're really trying to avoid it, too often you find yourself comparing what between the past and your current reality. "Once I could work 15 hours a day. Today? Today after three hours on my feet I'm tired." Such sentences fill your thoughts some times, and you start to understand that yet you are facing another challenge - the attempt to let go of the past and live the present.


The step of freeing yourself from your past and connecting to your present is a very significant step in the process, if you ask me. Because only after we passed this challenge successfully, we can get to what I think is the greatest miracle. The ability to see and think about the future.


The future is uncertain for us all. No one knows what the next day will bring. And yet, we are making plans, dreaming about the future and want to get out and do things that fulfill and comply with the potential that we know we have or think embodies us. A few months after the onset of cancer in my body, I still could not think in terms of the future. Everything was either under the past, or under present. It was one day when I was in China, during alternative treatment my father took me to, that I suddenly found myself saying: "In Rosh Hashanah I will do so and so....". I saw how my father was filled with pride and joy at that moment, as he explained to me that this is the first time he hears me talk about the future on a practical level, the belief and knowledge that it will come. That the future will come.

  My Chanukah miracle is the success on the personal experience I have experienced in the last year. Experience of being able to connect and see the future of my life. Although, with, and alongside cancer. My miracle embodied in the fact that I see the future, and know it will come. Looking forward and dreaming. I dare. I do. I set goals. I am not constantly afraid of the unknown. I know more, I feel more significant. I plan ahead and enjoy the process and the way getting there 
.
I learn from the past, not live in the past.
I live the present, and not live in fear of it.
I think about the future, and not afraid of what the future held.


I wish you all a Happy Chanukah, and may all of you find in his life his own personal miracle, and will produce the most and the best out of the oil jug.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה