יום חמישי, 3 בינואר 2013

A 100 but feels like 20 years old

63 years. 63 long and good years. This number marks the number of years my grandma and grandpa are married. They married in Persia, when my grandmother was 19. She says my grandfather was the man she choice. She did not agree to an arranged marriage, which was so usual at that time in the mountains of Kurdistan. But my grandmother did not agree to that norm. She waited for the right person. It was David for her. And ever since, 63 years, they have been together.

Grandma Zipporah, is a very special person. For those who do not know her, a short conversation is enough to understand that she is an extraordinary personality, a person that shows out and also full of love, desire to give and help as much as possible, independence, and unparalleled wisdom. It’s true, she is a grandmother, and I know all these things might be true regarding many other grandmothers, but there is something that can not be explained about Grandma Zippiy’s irresistible personality. Simply can not be.

A few weeks ago we ate together Friday night’s dinner. After dinner, we played with my nephew with his toys scattered everywhere. I saw grandpa holding grandma, and helped her to stand, when suddenly revealed to me a thrilling and amazing sight: grandpa, who is 85 years old, saw there’s a toy on the floor disturbed grandmother's walking path. He just bent with the little strength he has left, and took the toy away so that grandma will not fall on it. That was the only thing that was important to him at that moment – to move the toy and keep grandma safe. His wife for the last 63 years.

This week, on one day, my grandma did not feel well. When I talked to her she told me she had fallen asleep in the living room, and grandpa slept all through the night on the little sofa next to her and did not move. He held her hand, so if she needed anything he could hear and help her, at any time, at any part of the night. 2 nights they spent that way, she felt asleep on the big couch in the living room, and he on the small couch next to her, holding her hand, and ready to help her as needed.

When my grandma told me about it, my eyes were wet for a moment. I smiled a bit embarrassed and happy. I heard her voice, and all that I could think about is how amazing it is, that after 63 years together, grandpa will not sleep without her even for one night. He wants to be there all night next to her so if she needs anything, God forbid, he will be there for her. I thought to myself how many times we are talking and writing about the little moments of happiness in our life, and searching for the meaning of life. We are looking for the next big car, dream house we want to build, with a yard, a garden, a dog or a cat, about eating in restaurants, surfing the web, going abroad, seeing the world, traveling, fulfilling ourselves, to develop as a person, to go to the pub, see a movie. All of these things make us seemingly happier and at certain moments better and more complete.

My grandparents came from Persia in 1951. They had nothing. They lived in transit camps, like many other good people. They were content with the little that they had. They didn’t eat no luxury food, they didn’t fly abroad, they had no internet and they did not know what a car was. They did not eat in restaurants, and they raised four wonderful children. 14 grandchildren. 7 great-grandchildren. They are so happy. If you ask them, they will tell you. If you look at them, you will see and understand immediately.

I wish for myself and to all of you, that in 40 years from now, we will be here, and we'll have someone to hold our hand when we sleep, someone that will move the toys out of our way, and will love us so much. I wish that we will know to identify those people in our lives, and hold them tight and be better and more complete with what we have. Even if sometimes it seems we don’t have much.

This week my grandma is celebrating another birthday. Another year of her happy life. Dear grandma and grandpa, my wish to you is for many more years of good and long life together. Thank you for all that you taught us, all that you gave and all that you do for us, and that you are just you: role model, an example of how people should be even in the more challenging moments of life, and when it seems that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. You are the light for all of us. You always were and always will be.

אין תגובות:

הוסף רשומת תגובה